High winds, heavy rainfall, massive flooding, and rip currents make up only a part of destruction that hurricanes can make. These violent storms are formed over water and they move towards the land, posing serious threat to the waterfront homes and businesses.
Thus, it is quite important to ensure proper preparedness for hurricanes so that the structures and families could remain safe before the storm strikes. There are a few measures that need to be taken into consideration in this regard. Some of those measures include the following.
Protecting your family
- First, you are going to have to stock up the supplies which you may need during a disaster situation. Those items mainly include non-perishable foods, water, clothing, flashlights, batteries, and other beneficial items which may be required during the time of emergency.
- Power outage is a logical consequence that tends to happen in cause of a weather emergency. Therefore, you have to make sure that you have access to the battery powered radio. This way, you will be able to get updates about weather emergency in the area.
- Make sure that you have your important documents, maps, and medications with you in case of emergency.
- Learn if there is an emergency evacuation plan. You can get this information from local emergency management office.
Protecting your pets
- Your emergency survival kit should include any carrier or crate with emergency pet supplies such as blanket, pet food, and food serving dishes. If your pet requires any medication, make sure that you have it in the kit.
- You need to secure the pet. Make sure that they are wearing their ID collars. You are going to have to keep their information up-to-date.
Protecting your home
- You will need to bring in the home the outdoor furniture, decorations and everything which may be at the risk of being carried away by strong winds.
- It is very important to clean the gutters and downspouts to prevent flooding and overflowing.
- If you have got enough time to secure your home, you need to secure the windows with the help of storm shutters or plywood. You can cut the wooden board right according to the size of your windows and use those boards for window protection.
- Broken branches and debris can be quite damaging for the exterior of your home. Therefore, you need to trim the trees and shrubs around your home.
- You need to have an electric generator to produce power in case of the power outage.
- Your vehicles need to be fully fueled. This way, you will be able to get out of the area quickly after the weather emergency is announced.
- Make sure that you are fully familiar with the hurricane evacuation routes.